In the first post about Splunk Cloud Gateway I talked about not being able to use Saved Searches with the Splunk Cloud Gateway. I worked with Splunk and got the official response back about the issue.
So you discovered a bug! I will have a fix for this before the next release of the Cloud gateway app. The issue is with the name of the saved search. We are not url encoding the ref string when we should be which is causing the parser to fail. If you want to work around this issue use a name for the saved search that doesn’t have any spaces.
After working with Splunk, I can confirm that this works. Using camel case (CamelCaseWorks) is a great way to accomplish this without spaces.
One of the first things you need to do is enable Splunk TV in the Cloud Gateway app. In the Cloud Gateway app, go to configure and make sure to enable the Splunk TV (see below).
Next you will need to register the Apple TV to your Splunk Cloud Gateway. In the Cloud Gateway application, go to Register. When you first lauch the Splunk TV app on your Apple TV, it will give you an Activation Code. Enter that code in the Activation Code field of the Cloud Gateway register you device screen. Give the device a name. To continue setting up the device click Register.
You now will get the challenge code to verify. The code is at the bottom of the screen with your registration code. Then you will need to enter the credentials of your Splunk Enterprise account. Then click Continue to finish the setup.
You can verify that the system accepted you Splunk TV by going to Devices. Here you will be able to see all the devices connected via the Splunk Cloud Gateway. In this example I have a Splunk Mobile and a Splunk TV device connected.
So you have downloaded Splunk Cloud Gateway (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4250/) and you are ready to go on your Mobile Device or Apple TV, but when you check your app your dashboard(s) do not show up in the list. Oh no! Here is a couple things to check and I am sure this article will be updated as more information is learned.
Check the internals!
A great place to start is the internal logs of Splunk. In this case:
Ok, so Splunk can’t parse the dashboard. I checked the dashboard and made sure the role “cloudgateway” had access but still no luck. I even checked that the schedule search gave read permission to the role. No dice. Just by chance I created a new dashboard and happened to not use Scheduled Searches. I checked the mobile app and there it was, my awesome dashboard. Just to make sure I wasn’t seeing things I converted the inline to a saved search and then I got the errors again. Converted back to an inline search and there it was on my device. So just a helpful hint, if your dashboard isn’t showing up, check if there is scheduled searches.